Saturday, October 25, 2008

Budget recipe for today

It's no secret that everyone is feeling the pinch of this country's downward spiral thanks to capitalist greed. Our budgets are taking a hit and we've all had to give up pieces of our lives in order to cope. I turned off my cable over a year ago and will not be going back anytime soon. I haven't missed it and it saves me over $100 a month! I have not had a land line for over 2 years. Just my cell. Saves me another $40-50 a month. My internet is not dial up, but it's one of the less expensive plans out there and I haven't had much cause to complain. My car is almost paid off and then that's it for several more years. No need to replace it anytime soon..........Hondas are notorious for their longevity.

Now it's time to have fun with the food budget! Most people dread cutting back in this regard, but I think it can be made exciting. This is an opportunity to get creative. Find ways to make those budget meat cuts into gourmet..........or at least into soothing comfort food. I'm also trying to get rid of the wheat in my diet and that adds an extra layer of difficulty. But, hey, anything to take time away from homework. :-)

Today in the crock pot I put:

1/2 lb. cubed steak, cut into bite sized portions
1 onion, sliced
1/2 package sliced mushrooms
1 can cream of celery soup (which I had cream of mushroom, but oh well)
1 can diced stewed tomatoes
1 package brown gravy mix
frozen green beans
salt and pepper

It's gonna cook all day and then I'll put it over some brown rice.

Hopefully it's good. *wink*

2 comments:

Mandy H. and Bridget C, said...

OK, I am dying to know how this turned out...

Mandy H. and Bridget C, said...

It was good. Missing something though. It was better after sitting in the fridge overnight. Good cold weather comfort food type.

Needed buttered bread to dip......